Search This Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Favorite Tunes #225: Some Techno Soft Love

Three of the six games featured in this week's Favorite Tunes come from Techno Soft games. If you've never heard of them, they are famous for the Thunder Force SHMUP series, among other franchises. 

Thunder Force II isn't the game most fans think of when they think of the Thunder Force series due to it being quite different from the rest of the games in the series. Even so, the music is just as good as the other games. The Genesis version of Thunder Force II's soundtrack is really good but when it comes to the song Ray of Hope, I have to give the nod to the X68000 version.
Hello Mr. Cyborg - Dangun Feveron (ARC)

The system did little to put a dent in the sales of The Genesis and SNES, the PC-Engine still enjoyed a host of quality titles and thanks to the Wii's Virtual console service, a few of those games were brought to a wider audience. The soundtrack is sure to have you headbanging in no time at all.

Hello Mr. Cyborg - Dangun Feveron (ARC)
If it weren't for the swarms of bullets on the screen, I'd be cutting a rug to this game's outrageously good tunes. Dangun Feveron is a Cave bullet hell shooter with a disco soundtrack. Several tracks will remind you of famous western disco hits. Under the M2 Shot Triggers line, Dangun Feveron was released for the first time outside of Japan digitally on the PS4 and XBO. 

There is No Time to Lose - Herzog Zwei (GEN)
Now here's a track that sounds like it could be in a Thunder Force game. Not only is Herzog Zwei a Techno Soft title, but it also shares a composer, Tomomi Otani, who is known for his work on the Thunder Force titles.

Acid Hues - Splatoon 2 (NS)
I finally started playing Splatoon 2 and it has taken me some time to adjust. The map on the Game Pad is something I really miss but I love the new gear and the Autobomb is one of my new favorite sub weapons. Since I started playing just in time for a new Splatfest, I got to hear a few of the new Splatfest jams and as much as I love Ink Me Up from the first Splatoon, I can't knock the Splatfest beats in Splatoon 2.

Also known as Lightening Force over here in America, which is odd since Thunder Force II as well as Thunder Force III were brought over here to the Genesis under their original names. If you missed the chance to play this excellent shooter, it is one of the games that will be releases on the Switch version of the SEGA Ages collection. There are a number of great tracks I could have selected but I chose to go with this one, which is the demo ranking theme. Since I was terrible at Thunder Force IV, I would watch the demo and it was always followed up by this tune. 

No comments: