Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Favorite Tunes #217: Hype Boss Music is Hype

I think it is only fair to warn you that this week's Favorite Tunes contains music from not one, but two, Konami games. If you are offended by any and all things Konami, turn back now. You have been warned.

Boss - Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)


Sparkster had a brief and underwhelming revival in the form or Rocket Knight in the late 2000s. I'd love to see my favorite jet pack using opossum get a new game but I'd also love for more gamers to get the chance to play his 16-bit adventures. Konami has re-released several Contra and Castlevania titles but poor Sparkster has been on the side of the road. Seeing as how Konami is a shell of its former self, I'm not counting on Sparkster to return anytime soon. I'm amazed the Genesis game soundtrack received a vinyl release back in January. 

Eternity - Blue Dragon (360)


I've never played Blue Dragon, but even I was fully aware that Dragon Ball creator Akira Toiryama was behind the character design and that Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu was writing the music. Even without context, I freaking love this boss theme. Those cheesy lyrics, that blasting rock. It was love at first listen.

Tosterena Night -  Super Mario Odyssey (NS)


With the new update to Super Mario Odyssey, players the world over as finding as well as hiding balloons. Those new outfits ain't cheap and balloon hunting is a great way to earn some serious bank. One piece of music that I absolutely could not get enough of was the night version of Tostarena. It is so dang calming. I was super disappointed when I fixed the Sand Kingdom's problems and could no longer hear it in game. Thankfully, beating Odyssey unlocks the Music List so now I can turn this song on whenever I want!

Hi-Spec Robo Go! (Hard Boiled Heavies Theme) - Sonic Mania (PS4, XBO, NS, PC)


Sonic Mania, not without it's faults, is an outstanding game. I loved it so much, I ranked it 3rd in my Top 10 Games of 2017. Tee Lopes is a music composing god. The Hard Boiled Heavies boss theme is like the results of a Jest Set Radio theme combined with Cowboy Beebop's opening theme.

Thunder Landing - Super C (NES)


Konami is making more stupid decisions like charging 10 bucks for extra save files on Metal Gear Survive, but the rest of us are thinking back to the days when they were actually a worthwhile company. It truly is better to remember Konami for what they were rather than what they've become. I trend to favor the arcade score of Super C's soundtrack but the NES version turned out quite well. This theme plays on the very first level and it is a great way to kick the game off.

Title - Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii)


With Kirby Star Allies hitting the Switch this month, I thought it would be fitting to give the tough cream puff a showing in this week's Favorite Tunes. For years my all-time favorite Kirby game was Super Star. That title was at long last dethroned when I played Kirby's Return to Dream Land. I've lost track of how many times I've played through this game and I think I'm due for another play.

Favorite Tunes Database

No comments: