Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Mega Man 11 is Happening


I got home from work, jumped on my laptop and went straight to YouTube. The one thing I did not expect to see as recommended video coming from Nintendo's channel was an announcement trail for of all games, MEGA MAN 11. For a brief moment, I thought this was some kind of sick joke, an April Fools prank. I quickly remembered that it is in early December, clicked the video and watch with my mouth and eyes wide open. Hell has indeed froze over because Capcom is finally giving Mega Man a new game.


Mega Man 11 won't release until late 2018 on all platforms but the reveal trailer does divulge quite a bit of info. Mega Man can slide! The Charge Shot is back! It is so dang nice to see Mega Man regain two of his lost abilities. I really like Mega Man 2 but the lengths Mega Man 9 went to hump the former game's leg was really obnoxious. It is for this reason that I prefer Mega Man 10 over 9.

Another thing I really, really like is that Mega Man 11 is not an 8-bit NES style game. I love the look of 8-bit Mega Man but I don't believe Classic Mega Man should stay there. So many games are going with the retro look that it is getting to be overkill. 2D games are great but so are 2.5D games. Besides, from what little footage is available, I think Mega Man 11 looks pretty clean.

As exciting as this news is, there is of course bound to be some negativity. What I've seen is on the smile side, but it is there, nonetheless. Some fans are disappointed that Mega Man 11 is not going to be an 8-bit game. I've seen some joke that there's plenty of time for the game to be canceled. Then you've got people saying that the game looks like trash. I think seven years without a Mega Man game has made some fans very pessimistic. At the same time, this is Capcom we're talking about here so I can see how some fans would be concerned for Mega Man 11. On the flip side, a brand new Mega Man game is the very thing fans have been clamoring for for years. Capcom is giving us what we wanted and you've still got some folks that find away to be sour on it. Only the bitterest of Mega Man fans could find a way to piss and moan about this huge reveal.

Mega Man 11 is still a ways off so there is plenty of time to iron out wrinkles. The Blue Bomber's walking animation does look stiff. Personally, I think the game looks fine from what we've seen thus far, but if Capcom makes the game look even better, I'm all for that as long as it plays well and runs smooth. 2017 is almost over but that just means there is still some time left in the year for surprises. The announcement of Mega Man 11 was certainly one of them.

No comments: